Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

cucumber help

5 posters

Go down

cucumber help Empty cucumber help

Post by blennieluvr Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:35 pm

So, I went ahead and got the cucumber. The order came in at 12:30 today and went to the HSC to acclimate their stuff. Their fish was in rough shape so I stayed longer than I had planned. I decided I'd better get back to work instead of coming home to acclimate the rest. I floated the bags in their sump and came back for them at 4:30. I got the stuff home a bit ago and everything looked OK. I started a drip on the cucumber. Checked it 15 min later and it wasn't dripping anymore so adjusted it. I looked over a little later and the bag was full of water and the poor CUC is now expelling it's guts. So, do I just flush the guy? Is there any chance of saving him? I know I don't dare put it in my tank like that. I dumped out some water and went back to a slow drip. I'll go back up in a bit and check on it. I HATE getting stuff that ends up dying. I don't know if I'll ever coordinate a group order again. Sucks. HSC fish isn't going to make it either. He didn't have a chance from the time I got him. Although he was still alive when I went back for the rest of the stuff.

On a side note, the temp on the HSC tank was 85.6...86+. If anyone can get over there and take a look at the chiller, that would be great! I suppose that didn't help this whole acclimation deal either.
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

cucumber help Empty Re: cucumber help

Post by danreefs Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:55 pm

blennieluvr wrote:So, I went ahead and got the cucumber. The order came in at 12:30 today and went to the HSC to acclimate their stuff. Their fish was in rough shape so I stayed longer than I had planned. I decided I'd better get back to work instead of coming home to acclimate the rest. I floated the bags in their sump and came back for them at 4:30. I got the stuff home a bit ago and everything looked OK. I started a drip on the cucumber. Checked it 15 min later and it wasn't dripping anymore so adjusted it. I looked over a little later and the bag was full of water and the poor CUC is now expelling it's guts. So, do I just flush the guy? Is there any chance of saving him? I know I don't dare put it in my tank like that. I dumped out some water and went back to a slow drip. I'll go back up in a bit and check on it. I HATE getting stuff that ends up dying. I don't know if I'll ever coordinate a group order again. Sucks. HSC fish isn't going to make it either. He didn't have a chance from the time I got him. Although he was still alive when I went back for the rest of the stuff.

On a side note, the temp on the HSC tank was 85.6...86+. If anyone can get over there and take a look at the chiller, that would be great! I suppose that didn't help this whole acclimation deal either.

That cucumber may done Sad as for temp at 86 that needs to be fix asap. befor thay start to lose fish and corals.
danreefs
danreefs
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 1516

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:58 pm

Yeah. I left a message for Garrett and mentioned it to staff that were going to try to get in touch with the people that know how to check on it. There was a fan on the display surface and the lights have been off most of the day.
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:59 pm

Thanks for the response. These are the times you just want to talk to someone! Smile
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by t-bass Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:04 pm

Sorry about all your troubles. Don't know about the cucumber but I do know how you feel about receiving unhealthy shipments. I'm to the point that I don't want to order from anywhere. I wonder how they can ship this stuff halfway around the world, but it suffers from 12 hours in a bag.
t-bass
t-bass
Clownfish
Clownfish

Number of posts : 57

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:10 pm

The shipment was all great except for that one fish and I think he was just stressed from the move. I'm no expert but, it just seemed that way to me. I am not blaming this at all on Blue Zoo. I have had orders with a fair amount of losses but it was in the winter and I just am going to try really hard not to order in the winter anymore. And, they gave me credit for what was lost. I was stressed about everything floating in the sump the rest of the day and going back to work but even then, it looked like all made it except maybe a few snails. I totally messed up on the cuc's drip. No one's fault but mine.

On the bright side, the water is not fouled up and he's still moving around. He seems to be pulling his guts back in. Maybe if I'm careful and slow about this, I can still have a tiger tail in my 75 and not feel bad about losing a critter. (well...aside from the little goby cucumber help Icon_sad ). That's one thing to be said about getting critters for your LFS!!!!!
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by obsessed Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:21 pm

We really appreciate your troubles!
obsessed
obsessed
Tang
Tang

Number of posts : 193

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:36 pm

Thanks. And, not worries. You're stuff is all looking great. Smile
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:56 pm

Here's some cucumber reading.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/jan2003/invert.htm

Apparently, once they expel their guts, they may not be able to recover. cucumber help Icon_sad
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by icereefer Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:30 pm

Thats if your Cucumber is expelling because of Starvation, when I used Cucumber for scavengers but won't any more, Well my AC in South Dakota went out and my Tank got to like 87 degrees and at the same time I had a turbo snail deside to clean my top off float and got lodged between the float and the shaft of the Top off and by the time he got free I guess my Sal was 1.016 and my Tiger tail did the same thing for about 2 days then after that he was fine.

Cuc like Snails, shrimp and Starfish should always be Acclimated Very slowly to assure a healthy transfer to your waters. Starfish alone I usually Acclimate them for about 3 hrs if they've been in transport for over 12 hrs.
icereefer
icereefer
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 801

http://redrivervalleyreefers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:58 pm

That's what I meant to do. I just messed up. I think I'm gonna put it in the tank. It's not getting any worse. Still has insides out but hasn't fouled up the bag. It seems it's best chance for survival is putting right in the tank. I just hope I don't wake up to more problems.
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by icereefer Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:29 am

If your going to Put it in the Tank just keep an eye on it the main reason I don't use cuc and the chances are slim but can happen but you do use a skimmer and good filtration and have a pretty good water volume in your tank the reason I say this is because I've had a few old reefer friends in years past that had smaller Nano tanks one there Cuc got stuck in there powerhead and got ripped up pretty good went behind there rock work and died, went un-noticed and it nuked there tank, the other left for a week on vacation and came back to a dead tank too.
Just keep a close eye on it Cammie.
icereefer
icereefer
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 801

http://redrivervalleyreefers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by danreefs Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:48 pm

Did it make it ?????
danreefs
danreefs
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 1516

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:05 pm

Sorry, I've been MIA and couldn't update on this. Our computer mouse died.. I really don't know yet what I'm going to do with this guy. I'll probably take it out. I put it in the tank that eve and it crawled behind a rock. It moves occasionally but not far and doesn't look like it's trying to eat or anything. I'll probably have to take it out and flush it.
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum