Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LED lights what are your thoughts ?

5 posters

Go down

LED lights what are your thoughts ? Empty LED lights what are your thoughts ?

Post by orange bam bams Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:15 pm

A few months ago i decided to ditch the halides do to electric bill being outrageous! I decided on HO lighting and part power compact (was given power compact fixture free otherwise would all be HO this fall I was planning to switch to all HO bulbs and more LED lights for moonlight cycle ! Anyway though looking around i came across full LED setups that claim to be as bright as HO and only run at like 3 watts is this true ? Can a full LED setup be enough for a reef are there any down falls if anyone has some input or info or experience with these setups or links please let me know Thanks ! LED lights what are your thoughts ? Icon_sunny
orange bam bams
orange bam bams
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 537

Back to top Go down

LED lights what are your thoughts ? Empty Re: LED lights what are your thoughts ?

Post by greaser Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:01 am

everything i read is that except for the really spendy set ups the leds are not the right spectrums.
greaser
greaser
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 239

Back to top Go down

LED lights what are your thoughts ? Empty Re: LED lights what are your thoughts ?

Post by Mn. reef crzy Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:55 am

LEDS sometimes can be awesome. Spendy though, because the only bulbs worth buying are 3 watts a piece, but to make as much light as say a 400w halide, you would need like 50 of them, so you are saving energy but it is not like you wont have a power bill. all i can say is i dont know anyone that has switched to leds and kept them. Halides IMO are still the best option to reaching the most accurate light spectrum to the sun. Of course this is all my personal opinion, but for a 120 i think you would need at least 2000 even if you were DIY. Stuff is not cheap.

Mn. reef crzy
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1169

Back to top Go down

Post by icereefer Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:18 am

Here's a write up on one of our Members DIY LED project and I agree Andre there not cheap to build.
http://redrivervalleyreefers.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=721
icereefer
icereefer
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 801

http://redrivervalleyreefers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Reefer Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:46 am

Here is a do it yourself project on LED's on Reef Central that may be helpful. http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=14502630#post14502630

Reefer
Tang
Tang

Number of posts : 111

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down