Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cons to Reef Clubbing

+3
danreefs
plnelson
blennieluvr
7 posters

Go down

Cons to Reef Clubbing Empty Hi. I'm Cammie. I'm a Reefoholic.

Post by blennieluvr Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:21 pm

Sometimes I wonder if I stepped back from club meetings, swaps, etc (surfing the net) if I'd be happier with the awesome tank I have. I mean, really, it is amazing to have a glass box with beautiful, living, fascinating creatures right in my living room. Shouldn't that be enough? I'm trying really hard to be content with what what I have and taking care of it to the best of my ability rather than on what I want to collect next. But, I still get that feeling I NEED a new coral when I see something pretty or NEED to upgrade something because I know it will work better or allow me to keep different critters. I know my hubby wonders if I will ever be happy with what I have and I don't blame him! Part of the problem is that I'm still learning (and that's the right thing to do, isn't it?) and want to put it into practice. Does anyone else out there suffer from this reef version of "keeping up with the joneses".

I thought it would be good for me to see this in black and white so I can reread it from time to time and get a reality check. I "hear" the argument that we are taking care of living creatures and should not be doing so if we aren't willing to give them the best home possible which requires shelling out some cash but, at the same time, there is a point where I should just be content and reign myself in too.

I also feel a little guilty when I'm talking to newbies. I try to warn them but who would believe how bad it can be until the bug has bitten? Maybe I should just be telling them, "Don't do it!"?

Anyone know where there's a Reefers-Anon group I can attend? If not, maybe that's the next thing I should plan rather than a swap meet.

Last edited by blennieluvr on Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : new title)
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Cons to Reef Clubbing Empty Re: Cons to Reef Clubbing

Post by plnelson Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:56 pm

I totally get what you mean. I've been doing this for three years, and I still want stuff. I think I had one advantage, and that was living in the cities. Having such easy access to so many different kinds of coral and what not, I was able to get a lot of those out of my system. Though still, I can't stop. I have things that I want to keep myself, and I have to try really hard to stay focused on those things. Yet invariably, I find that I can't help myself. My allure to this hobby has always been coral, and now I find my desire changing. All it will bring, is the desire to have a different setup focused on something else, a whole new set of learning curves and chalanges. I don't think it will ever end.
plnelson
plnelson
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 610

Back to top Go down

Post by danreefs Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:24 pm

lol i need to get my fix of a MP 10 x 2
danreefs
danreefs
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 1516

Back to top Go down

Post by Nannook Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:48 pm

Hi Cammie.

My name is Nick. I have been a reef-a-holic since I secretly binged as an adolescent. I had a paper route and was independently wealthy as a teen. I could afford to skip school and smuggle home my purchases in brown paper bags. Mom thought something was wrong, but I assured her it was strictly recreational.

Marriage and family and I had to be good. On the wagon for more than 35 years, but you know the saying, once a reef-a-holic always a reef-a-holic.

I tell my wife it is under control. Just a few warm ones with friends. But my new friends have Lightning Maroons. My new friends will give me a little something "just to TIDE me over" [I desperately NEED a wave maker].

I went to Atlantic City, walked the board walk. To gamble, drink, chase skirts? Nope, to see the Atlantic. It was glorious! Twelve step program? ME? No way, I am off the wagon and loving it! Come on in Cammie, the water is fine!
Nannook
Nannook
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 359

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:16 pm

I think upgrading is just the way of the hobby, everyone starts out with cheap lights, what seemed like a huge tank when you bought it and some fish that you had to have and now would love to get rid of! It's a learning process. Since we had reefed with nanos for many years I'm pretty content and honestly a little overwhelmed with a large tank, but I still always want to change the nano up, move some stuff, get some stuff, etc. I don't get into the "fads", named corals really don't do it for me, I'm just too cheap, I'd rather wait until something is affordable or find another coral I like just as much for a reasonable price. That helps costwise but there are occansions that I see a coral or fish I "HAVE" to have and splurge way too much. Diver's Den is a terrible influence on my checkbook.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 1479

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:46 pm

Nice to know I'm not alone but no one yet has mentioned a cure yet!
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by plnelson Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:16 pm

There is none. Unless you quit. Then you're a quitter. And nobody like a quitter.
plnelson
plnelson
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 610

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:55 pm

plnelson wrote:There is none. Unless you quit. Then you're a quitter. And nobody like a quitter.

That's not true, all the other reefers love a quitter, good deals to be had! Cons to Reef Clubbing Lol
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 1479

Back to top Go down

Post by Mn. reef crzy Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:43 am

I used to be way into it, i just am so busy now with three kids it is just not even reasonable to have a tank anymore. If i actually thought i could get rid of livestock without shipping i would have already shut down my tank.

Mn. reef crzy
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1169

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:58 am

Mn. reef crzy wrote:I used to be way into it, i just am so busy now with three kids it is just not even reasonable to have a tank anymore. If i actually thought i could get rid of livestock without shipping i would have already shut down my tank.

I hope in time things will balance out for you. They should. Wouldn't you miss it if it were gone? And, you'd have that big hole in your wall! But, I hear ya. I probably wouldn't struggle to justify the hobby so much if it were just me or even just me and Jason. But, we've got the family thing going on.
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mn. reef crzy Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:09 am

I like the hobby enough, it's just I only get like 10 minutes at night with it, I'm really fortunate that it is so self maintained. Pretty much zero time for anything other than w/c's. I think when the new born stops being anew born And I can reclaim my sanity I think it will get better.

Mn. reef crzy
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1169

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_reefer Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:27 pm

plnelson wrote:I totally get what you mean. I've been doing this for three years, and I still want stuff. I think I had one advantage, and that was living in the cities. Having such easy access to so many different kinds of coral and what not, I was able to get a lot of those out of my system. Though still, I can't stop. I have things that I want to keep myself, and I have to try really hard to stay focused on those things. Yet invariably, I find that I can't help myself. My allure to this hobby has always been coral, and now I find my desire changing. All it will bring, is the desire to have a different setup focused on something else, a whole new set of learning curves and chalanges. I don't think it will ever end.

For me it's just the opposite. Being away from the cities and Duluth helps hold me in check. Because it is an hour drive or in some cases a 4 hour drive to get anything I tend to not buy much. The winter kept me from having anything that wasn't frozen shipped and shipping costs tend to deter me from buying too much in small doses. This summer I hope to acctually go diving a bit more and a bit more outdoorsy stuff so that will keep me away from shopping. Overall, the simplicity gives me a chance to appreciate what is in my tank and enjoy watching my diamond goby dig a burrow or the clowns swimming in the flow. I do have to admit that I do have a prediliction for wanting more tanks...So many species I want to have need dedicated tanks and Matt has inspired me to want to breed...I have a feeling I am going to be spending alot more on fish once the roomate leaves...

ranger_reefer
Tang
Tang

Number of posts : 118

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down