Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I want to build a tidal pool....

5 posters

Go down

I want to build a tidal pool.... Empty I want to build a tidal pool....

Post by Nannook Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:48 pm

I am in the process of building a 55 fish tank. I want to build a Live Rock cave around my plumbing with a tidal pool on top. This will fit on one end of the 55. Researching this I have found very little info. I am thinking a field trip will be needed. But the general idea is a sloping tray with only one small inlet and a shallow bowl only a few inches deep. A shallow rim around the edges to hold a bit of sand perhaps some salt grass. I have the plumbing dry fit, waiting for warmer weather to mix and pour the LR. I have not thought this completely yet. But I got the idea from the mangrove that people are planting in their refugium. Anyone have suggestions?

{I got this from wikipedia}
"Low tide zone"

"This subregion is mostly submerged — it is exposed only during low
tide. This area is teeming with life; this subregion's most notable
difference from the other three is that there is much more marine
vegetation, especially seaweeds.
There is also greater biodiversity. Organisms in this zone generally
are not well adapted to dryness and temperature extremes. Low tide zone
organisms include abalone, anemones, brown seaweed, chitons, crabs, green algae, hydroids, isopods, limpets, mussels, nudibranchs, sculpin, sea cucumber, sea lettuce, sea palms, sea stars, sea urchins, shrimp, snails, sponges, surf grass, tube worms, and whelks.
These creatures can grow to larger sizes because there is more available energy and better water coverage: The water is shallow enough to allow more light for photosynthetic activity, and the salinity is at almost normal levels. This area is still protected from large predators because of the wave action and relatively shallow water."

Last edited by Nannook on Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Found more info)
Nannook
Nannook
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 359

Back to top Go down

I want to build a tidal pool.... Empty Re: I want to build a tidal pool....

Post by tinkerman Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:53 pm

This is my first thiking of a problem with this being so close to the light and shallow how are you going to stop all the algea growing. I did see someone that had a bucket sitting next to thier tank with mangroves growing from it, it was plumbed into the tank.

tinkerman
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 417

Back to top Go down

Post by plnelson Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:01 pm

I believe Julian Sprung did something similar. It was a lot larger, but the concept sounds the same.
plnelson
plnelson
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 610

Back to top Go down

Post by Tangalanglang Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:02 pm

I have been looking into the use of mangroves in the sump, this is the first I am hearing talk on this site. Are there any members using mangroves?
Tangalanglang
Tangalanglang
Clownfish
Clownfish

Number of posts : 61

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerman Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:10 am

Tatooreefer was not sure if he still is using them. Haven't seen him on in a while.

tinkerman
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 417

Back to top Go down

Post by Mn. reef crzy Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:38 am

only problem with mangroves is the amount you would need to have to have them do what they are supposed to do. It takes a ton to actually help with phosphate reduction. Cheato works and it wont cost you and arm and a leg for enough of it.

Mn. reef crzy
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1169

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down