Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

momment of silence

5 posters

Go down

momment of silence Empty momment of silence

Post by nano Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:54 pm

Man down ive just lost my shrimp. He was apeacful little shrimp taken long before his time. pretty sure my ingonorance on reading the jar the filter came in that said rinse first and nope i just threw it in now i will probably loose my whole tank damit

nano
Tang
Tang

Number of posts : 111

Back to top Go down

momment of silence Empty Re: momment of silence

Post by GoingPostal Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:05 pm

It's a pretty new tank isn't it? Shrimp are really sensitive, not a good addition in the first few months. What's your salinity at? How did it die?
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 1479

Back to top Go down

Post by nano Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:10 pm

its been doing really good but did water cahnge yesterday. Then added that chemi pure forgot to rinse out and added it turned the tank black so i took out rinsed changed filter now im doing a water change. my tank is fairly new but i had year old sand and established live rock. at least they all are not dead. lol learning experiance lol

nano
Tang
Tang

Back to top Go down

Post by nano Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:17 pm

my salinity is at 30 ph at 8.4 every thing else at 0 well know with all that charcol floating around it could be all out of wak so im mixing some water rite now change it out and go from there. what other clean up crew can i put in it. want somthing to watch the parisites if possible

nano
Tang
Tang

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:59 pm

30 ppt? Should be 34-35 for inverts. Chemi pure dust shouldn't hurt anything, just turn the tank cloudy for a while. There is no animal you can buy that will take care of parasites, that's what QT and meds are for. Cleaner shrimp don't clean off parasites like ich, they couldn't even if they wanted to as it's under the scales. Clean up crew just stirs sand and eats leftover food/algea.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 1479

Back to top Go down

Post by nano Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:36 pm

All the articals i have read on cleaner shimp have stated that the will attach themselfs to the fish and actully pick off certin parisites. Ick being one of them. I appreciate you inpute and i will look into this and see if maybee i was undestanding them wrong.

nano
Tang
Tang

Back to top Go down

Post by danreefs Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:14 pm

nano wrote:All the articals i have read on cleaner shimp have stated that the will attach themselfs to the fish and actully pick off certin parisites. Ick being one of them. I appreciate you inpute and i will look into this and see if maybee i was undestanding them wrong.

That is what thay do its cool to watch them clean the fish.
danreefs
danreefs
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 1516

Back to top Go down

Post by nano Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:18 pm

danreefs wrote:
nano wrote:All the articals i have read on cleaner shimp have stated that the will attach themselfs to the fish and actully pick off certin parisites. Ick being one of them. I appreciate you inpute and i will look into this and see if maybee i was undestanding them wrong.

That is what thay do its cool to watch them clean the fish.
i thought that is what i read. I have watched the shrimp climb onto the fish and start picking away.

nano
Tang
Tang

Back to top Go down

Post by Home_Depot Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 pm

Like GP said they dont get the ich tho because they live under the scales.
Home_Depot
Home_Depot
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1946

http://www.frozenocean.org

Back to top Go down

Post by nano Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:49 pm

k i can see that. Just was doing some reading on them and they never mentioned ick in this article. Thanks for the info guys.

nano
Tang
Tang

Back to top Go down

Post by Home_Depot Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:59 pm

Very Happy momment of silence 313206
Home_Depot
Home_Depot
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1946

http://www.frozenocean.org

Back to top Go down

Post by HSCmember Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:05 am

If any of Jacquie & Cousteau's eggs make it, you can have some of their babies. Looks like she's ready to lay eggs again.
HSCmember
HSCmember
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 560

Back to top Go down

Post by nano Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:11 am

HSCmember wrote:If any of Jacquie & Cousteau's eggs make it, you can have some of their babies. Looks like she's ready to lay eggs again.
that would be great. I just got ahold of a friend taring down a tank and going to get some more rocks and some poylps getting ready for my tank to start taking shape. lol I still cant find a glass top for my tank so i hooked up with a old glass cutting friend of mine he is going to cut it for me YES

nano
Tang
Tang

Back to top Go down

Post by nano Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:31 am

I read very close to a brief on skunk shrimp and it stated that it will clean parisites from the mouth and gills of fish. But stated that if you plan on keeping more than one that there needs to be plenty of food for them to eat.

nano
Tang
Tang

Back to top Go down

Post by HSCmember Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:39 am

These are in the Bemidji Science Center's 210 and appear to be doing very well. The yellow tang will hang around them, looks like she is brushing up against them now and then.

I've never had the opportunity to spend a lot of time watching to see if they are actually trying to clean anyone. We bought one and it hid in the rocks and never came out until we brought in Cousteau. Now they are out and about and have doubled in size.
HSCmember
HSCmember
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 560

Back to top Go down

Post by nano Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:45 am

I was lucky enuf to watch mine jump on my fire fish and start cleaning it was cool. shows the system at work.

nano
Tang
Tang

Back to top Go down

Post by nano Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:03 pm

Good news woke up this morning and my thank was good still a little cloudy. guna give it time see waht happens

nano
Tang
Tang

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum