Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Issues of the sea

+3
danreefs
GoingPostal
Tangalanglang
7 posters

Go down

Issues of the sea Empty Issues of the sea

Post by Tangalanglang Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:08 pm

1) POC Seaclone 150 not skimming, do I need to adjust something? I've got great water movement.
2) Do I need to feed these two little (only thing in the tank) frags I added to my tank 8 days ago?
3) When is time to get nervous in regard to nitrate for first time being up 20? ph is 7.6 Is this a spike? It'll be my first.
4) Do I need to invest in a hydrometer?
Tangalanglang
Tangalanglang
Clownfish
Clownfish

Number of posts : 61

Back to top Go down

Issues of the sea Empty Re: Issues of the sea

Post by GoingPostal Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:45 pm

Seaclones are crap, not suprised it's not skimming, most don't do anything. There are some things you can do to try and improve them but they will never be a great skimmer, may just not be anything to skim yet either.

What kind of frags did you add? I would say probably not if they are like zoas or most softies, as long as you have enough light it should be fine, have to know what they are for sure though.

Nitrate, I would get that down, water changes will do that trick

How are you testing salt levels now? Hydrometers are usually way off, get a refractometer.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 1479

Back to top Go down

Post by danreefs Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:49 pm

Tangalanglang wrote:1) POC Seaclone 150 not skimming, do I need to adjust something? I've got great water movement.
2) Do I need to feed these two little (only thing in the tank) frags I added to my tank 8 days ago?
3) When is time to get nervous in regard to nitrate for first time being up 20? ph is 7.6 Is this a spike? It'll be my first.
4) Do I need to invest in a hydrometer?

Hold on you do not have a Hydrometer? you need to get a Refractometer ASAP.
Put that Seaclone in the trashcan ASAP
get some of your fish tank water to my house so i can test it ASAP.
danreefs
danreefs
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 1516

Back to top Go down

Post by chefb_5 Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:55 am

well to fix it u need to twist the valve on top untell u dont see anymore bubbles or very few bubbles and its not all the bad of a skimmer for a first timer come on!
chefb_5
chefb_5
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 295

http://chefb_5@yahoo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by schaver Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:58 am

how did you test to see what the salt level is without at least a hydrometer?
they are a must. refactometers are better (i still use a hydrometer myself) and as far as the seaclone goes they are garbage but every nubi seems to start with them. i also have a 150 for backup if needed some ware, like when my sump cracked i hung that on the tank and worked good till i got my sump fixed, my insump skimmer was worthless at that point in time. but yes i would try to find a better quility skimmer.
schaver
schaver
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post by Tangalanglang Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:06 pm

OK, frags are (4) yellow colony polyps and a small plug of purple zoanthids. yellow tube with long waving tentacles. Zoans don't look as happy in the last few days tho...

I've got to use the skimmer I have now($), not buying another. It does work (Schaver). I don't think I have anything to skim then (G Postal). I will try to adjust the valve...luv u Brandon...where is the valve...

Salt level should be as normal as possible as I have not varied from the correct solution and amount being changed. As good as things look on regular dipstick WNL; not going to rush for another water test but will bring in next time to Brd if u are available-thanks Danreefs. I will invest in the refractometer.

So the reading of 20 is enough for a water change,but today it is 10...or should it absolutely be zero?

Another question I had and forgot to ask first time around is; is leaving the back glass uncleaned a good thing to do or am I going to be sorry after a while and then it is too late to remove the growth?

Thanks all!!!
Tangalanglang
Tangalanglang
Clownfish
Clownfish

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:24 am

Was using a hydrometer. When we went to the refractometer, we found that our salinity had been 1.030!! I'd definitely get a refractometer!

You will probably want to scrape all the glass until what you're growing is purple coralline algae and then it's really a personal preference. (I keep all four sides of our tank clean because it's viewable from all sides.) The coralline does use up calcium that you may want to leave for corals but all you have in there now is softies so calcium isn't probably going to be an issue for you.
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Post by Tangalanglang Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:55 am

Coraline algae takes about 8 weeks?
Do I need to feed those two littles ones?
Tangalanglang
Tangalanglang
Clownfish
Clownfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Home_Depot Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:44 am

I dont think there is a time frame for coraline. Some people get it bad and others never get. I used to have to scape my glass every week cause it was so bad now I dont hardly ever have to scrape it off.
Home_Depot
Home_Depot
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1946

http://www.frozenocean.org

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:40 am

You don't have to feed the corals you've got.
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Post by chefb_5 Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:32 pm

its the clear pencil size air tube and at the tip of the tube that comes out of the pump ther is a black capsule looking thing and on that turn it eather way untill u dont see much bubbles! and if u dont know what imtalking about put the name brand in the google shearch and look for the black capsule thing on the smallist air tube!
chefb_5
chefb_5
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by chefb_5 Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:33 pm

and tangalang does that trade seem sfar and when dpo u think u can do it?? because im getting sugery on the 26 of this month so i kinda needs to be befor then!
chefb_5
chefb_5
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: