Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

would this keep the temperature down in the HSC tank?

+5
Mn. reef crzy
blennieluvr
tinkerman
Home_Depot
HSCmember
9 posters

Go down

would this keep the temperature down in the HSC tank? Empty would this keep the temperature down in the HSC tank?

Post by HSCmember Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:22 am

http://cgi.ebay.com/Metal-Halide-Aquarium-Chiller-Cooling-Fan-6-fan-gift_W0QQitemZ230424447485QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item35a65e09fd

would this work to hold the temperature down in the tank? Right now by afternoon it is 81-82 degrees
HSCmember
HSCmember
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 560

Back to top Go down

would this keep the temperature down in the HSC tank? Empty Re: would this keep the temperature down in the HSC tank?

Post by Home_Depot Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:25 am

LOL that is what mine runs at all the time...
Home_Depot
Home_Depot
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1946

http://www.frozenocean.org

Back to top Go down

would this keep the temperature down in the HSC tank? Empty Re: would this keep the temperature down in the HSC tank?

Post by HSCmember Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:28 am

But that really isn't an optimum temperature. It sounds like it should be in the mid-high 70s from what I have read.

What do others have for temperature?
HSCmember
HSCmember
Great White
Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by Home_Depot Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:43 am

I have 3 fans that kick on when my temp reaches a certin temp(I have a controlor) he he
Home_Depot
Home_Depot
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1946

http://www.frozenocean.org

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerman Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:31 am

I have 5 fans and thats where mine sits for a temp. Starts at 79 and works its way up to 82-83.

tinkerman
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 417

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:40 am

I just made some adjustments about a month or so to keep my tank under 80 because I'd heard that higher temps stress out the tankmates.

I thought the plan was to put a couple fans in the back of the hood. It looks like the one you are looking at would be a good candidate if there isn't anything else in the works already.
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Post by Mn. reef crzy Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:53 am

Mine is set on the controller to 77.8, my variation is only 77.7 to 78. In my opinion the best way to keep the temp down is during the time the halides are on. I would put two fans on same timer as halides. One blowing air over the sump where there is water moving. Second is keep air moving under the halides. I used to use a chiller but i am able to achieve same result with two fans and less power.

IMO lower temps are better for tank inhabitants. I also try and keep it as exactly the same temp as possible.

Mn. reef crzy
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1169

Back to top Go down

Post by plnelson Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:09 pm

Let's enclose the hood, and add a fan to the back to draw air out. This will also make it nicer to keep fish like wrasses and firefish.
plnelson
plnelson
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 610

Back to top Go down

Post by danreefs Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:35 pm

Is there a fan on the sump in the 210g ? and yes 80 is to high i run 76 my self.
danreefs
danreefs
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 1516

Back to top Go down

Post by Nannook Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:17 pm

Mine is staying 76 - 77 degrees night and day. I have a variable speed fan controller. It is on medium now, possibly in the summer I may need to kick it up to high to maintain the temp.
Nannook
Nannook
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 359

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:32 pm

Mine fluctuates more than I want it to and that's something we are addressing but it doesn't go over 80.

Jim is building a canopy currently that exchanges air (see the "air exchanging canopy build in the DIY forum at www.redrivervalleyreefers.com). Maybe that's what you're talking about too Phil?
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:46 pm

All my thermometers suck so I don't check it too much but my tanks are staying around 76 degrees now, in the summer they run a lot hotter, I try to keep it cooler in the little tank because of the non photo stuff. In the past my tanks have all run 78-80 degrees with no difference that I noticed.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 1479

Back to top Go down

Post by plnelson Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:20 am

Something like that, except with the fans in the back sucking air out, and it would come in through the slits in the top.
plnelson
plnelson
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HSCmember Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:29 am

How does that enclose it so nothing jumps out? Couldn't they just jump into the fan and be chopped to bits like Garrett's first clown?
HSCmember
HSCmember
Great White
Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by plnelson Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:49 am

Yup. The sad truth to this hobby is, regardless of our best efforts, things die.

The alternative for the Center would be to invest in a chiller.
plnelson
plnelson
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HSCmember Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:17 am

I'm wondering if we could find a used one.
HSCmember
HSCmember
Great White
Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down