Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Proven Ocellaris Pair, Sohal Tang, Proven Centropyge Argi trio - ALL FOR SALE

4 posters

Go down

Proven Ocellaris Pair, Sohal Tang, Proven Centropyge Argi trio - ALL FOR SALE Empty Proven Ocellaris Pair, Sohal Tang, Proven Centropyge Argi trio - ALL FOR SALE

Post by mpedersen Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:59 pm

So putting these up for sale, local pickup in Duluth, cash only. I went out a limb and spent a TON of money (thank you Credit Card) on a very very rare opportunity. In theory I don't need to sell these fish, but I should try to offset this ginormous purchase.

Proven Pair of Spawning Ocellaris - they spawn every 10 days for me and have 500+ eggs a shot - asking $250

Sohal Tang - outgrowing the tank, and the 90 isn't set up yet. Reasonable offer - maybe $150?

Spawning Trio (3) of Centropyge argi (Pygmy Angelfish) - $200 - they spawn DAILY. Have been in my care, living in the 24 cube, for maybe 2 years+ now?

Email for pictures (until I get them posted here)!

Matt
mpedersen
mpedersen
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 399

Back to top Go down

Proven Ocellaris Pair, Sohal Tang, Proven Centropyge Argi trio - ALL FOR SALE Empty Re: Proven Ocellaris Pair, Sohal Tang, Proven Centropyge Argi trio - ALL FOR SALE

Post by GoingPostal Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:17 am

How big are the angelfish? I'm very tempted but a little concerned my trigger may try to eat them. He leaves my little gramma alone though.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 1479

Back to top Go down

Proven Ocellaris Pair, Sohal Tang, Proven Centropyge Argi trio - ALL FOR SALE Empty Re: Proven Ocellaris Pair, Sohal Tang, Proven Centropyge Argi trio - ALL FOR SALE

Post by Mn. reef crzy Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:58 am

triggers are known to spontaneously ravage all sorts of fish, they are what i would call emotional!

Mn. reef crzy
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1169

Back to top Go down

Post by mpedersen Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:59 am

I'd say the male C. argi, the largest, is just under 3" at the most. Overall, these are the largest Centropyge argi you'll probably see...they tend to import them small, as juvies. Would have to agree with Mn. reef crzy...triggers have that "going postal" mentality sometimes!

Now, the Sohal Tang...THERE'S a fish that won't have any problems with your trigger Wink
mpedersen
mpedersen
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by mpedersen Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:33 am

Well, looks like the Craigslist Gustapo are alive and well here in Duluth! Never had issues with the occasional fish that needed a new home before - the whole point of the Craigslist ban on pets is to avoid commercial sellers and black market smuggling. Not to prevent someone like me from asking a fee to someone who wants to "rehome" a few fish. Geeze...to think someone spends the time scanning Craigslist... I bet they were tickled pink to find my listings to hit that remove button Wink
mpedersen
mpedersen
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:43 am

Yeah the Sohal is a little more aggressive than I am looking for. But I think that sizewise the angels would be ok, my gramma can't be over 2", I would drop them in during lights out when he's sleeping to be safe. He's a pinktail so not as crazy as say a clown, but always a risk. Are these the ones posted on youtube spawning? I gotta make sure I have the cash, plus money to drive to Duluth but I should be able to take these. Are you around at all during the week? I have next Thursday off and could maybe make the trip then. If not it might be a week or two before I have another day off.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by mpedersen Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:08 pm

GP - yes, same fish as the ones spawning on youtube, and in fact, you can get the whole story of the trio here - http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=203&t=411

I should mention that there is someone from TCMAS who has expressed interest in coming up to get them next Sunday, so I'm pretty much operating on the "whoever shows up with money first" mentality on the fish.

Oh and Pinktails are plankton feeders, right? I wouldn't anticipate many problems with the Angelfish..their fast, and they all deal with the Sohal just fine Wink
mpedersen
mpedersen
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:25 pm

Well I'm out. The tank I've been after my friends to sell for the past month they finally put a price on. Sorry!
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by mpedersen Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:06 pm

word!
mpedersen
mpedersen
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by mpedersen Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:24 pm

Well GP, if you change your mind or still want 'em in the future, it sounds like the guy that was gonna take the angels now wants the clowns instead? Wink
mpedersen
mpedersen
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by mpedersen Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:37 pm

Also, dropping the Sohal Tank to $120. In excellent shape. Maybe 4+ inches at this point.
mpedersen
mpedersen
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by wiz224 Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:44 pm

Matt what type of other tank inhabitants would be ok for the angels?

Last edited by wiz224 on Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:49 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : im an idiot)
wiz224
wiz224
Clownfish
Clownfish

Number of posts : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:16 pm

mpedersen wrote:Well GP, if you change your mind or still want 'em in the future, it sounds like the guy that was gonna take the angels now wants the clowns instead? Proven Ocellaris Pair, Sohal Tang, Proven Centropyge Argi trio - ALL FOR SALE Icon_wink

Will let you know, I would have enough money again after the 27th if they are still available then.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by mpedersen Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:36 pm

wiz224 wrote:Matt what type of other tank inhabitants would be ok for the angels?

Right now they share their tank with the Sohal, a pair of Green Mandarins, and a Bristletail Filefish. In the past, other cohabitants have included Harlequin Filefish, Red Scooter Blennies, Sunrise Dottybacks, Greenbanded Gobies, Masked Gobies, Firefish. They have never bothered any of the SPS in the tank.

Make no mistake though, Pygmy Angelfish can be hell in a handbasket...they chase each other constantly but that chasing is what maintains the social structure and keeps the females female...there's rarely a mark on them. I've found that in SMALL tanks (like my 24 gallon nano's), I've had really less than ideal luck keeping Clownfish and Centropyge together....both the C. argi, and later on in another tank, Centropyge bicolor, harrassed the spawning ocellaris pair to no end. I didn't have that issue with my Flame pair and the Onyx percs pair.
mpedersen
mpedersen
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by wiz224 Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:57 pm

Well i am looking to add something to my 20h. It has a 10g sump. I recently took down my 75 to redo the stand so that it may resemble something of furniture and less of an "eyesore". My wifes words. The 75 is going to go back up in a few weeks. With almost everything in the 2o going back in the 75. Right now in the 20 i have a maroon a pajama and a yellow tail blue damsel (first fish i ever bought for saltwater 3 years ago.
wiz224
wiz224
Clownfish
Clownfish

Number of posts : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by mpedersen Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:43 pm

Well, if long term, you were going to remove the other fish, I'd say the angels might make a really neat display, IF you really like Centropyge argi. I do have that Linear Blenny too...$20 fish there Wink I *think* I found a mate for my Sunrise Dottyback, which means I may not be selling that one afterall.

Matt
mpedersen
mpedersen
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Mn. reef crzy Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:56 pm

I'm curious about the sohal Tiffany said it was agressive? Can it be in a tank with more tangs?

Mn. reef crzy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mpedersen Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:00 pm

sphalerite????? you mean the Sohal Tang? They ARE aggressive, but they are also tough as nails. The tang police will tell you that a tank less than 250 is asking for trouble...and 500+ is ideal. Some people say this is a tang that people shouldn't keep, other folks say it's one of the best tangs around.

I LOVE the Sohal, but I know the 92 isn't going to be up until we've decided where we're living...and that won't be until Feb. In the meantime, the Sohal is pacing like a lion in a cage. And longer term, I know the 92 won't be enough either. What made me think it was time to try to find a home, vs. toughing it out, is that his size and activity levels started to intimidate the filefish...remember, he's probably doubled in size since I got him...and I traded ANOTHER sohal that I had grown up for this one (which was tiny, under 3", when I got it).
mpedersen
mpedersen
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by mpedersen Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:03 pm

Oh, and regarding other tangs...the Sohal WILL be the last tang you put into a tank...that's what the Sohal keepers will suggest. I've seen them with other tangs...There's a footlong one @ Rod's Reef that basically chases a 10" Hepatus Tang in a trough of a few hundred gallons. Frankly, I don't know enough to say for sure, but I had planned that I'd keep the Sohal with our Powder Blue in the 92...they seem to ignore each other even though they can see each other (tanks are next to each other).
mpedersen
mpedersen
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by mpedersen Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:11 pm

Here's some pictures...

SOHAL TANG
:

Proven Ocellaris Pair, Sohal Tang, Proven Centropyge Argi trio - ALL FOR SALE PB130322_sohal

2 of the 3 Centropyge argi / Pygmy Angelfish (Male is above):

Proven Ocellaris Pair, Sohal Tang, Proven Centropyge Argi trio - ALL FOR SALE PB130314_Cargi2

CLOWNFISH PAIR (FEMALE):

Proven Ocellaris Pair, Sohal Tang, Proven Centropyge Argi trio - ALL FOR SALE PB160024

CLOWNFISH PAIR (MALE):

Proven Ocellaris Pair, Sohal Tang, Proven Centropyge Argi trio - ALL FOR SALE PB130317_clownmaleeggs

Linear Blenny:

Proven Ocellaris Pair, Sohal Tang, Proven Centropyge Argi trio - ALL FOR SALE PB160003
mpedersen
mpedersen
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Mn. reef crzy Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:24 pm

yeah my i phone spelling is weird, sometimes if you are not paying attention it just picks random words close to what you are trying to say. I already have a bit of aggression among my tangs the way it is, i just have never really heard much about that fish. Pretty fish but i really dont want it killing one of my favorite tangs and with my luck that is what will happen.

Mn. reef crzy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mpedersen Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:38 pm

MnReef...yes, a Sohal is definitely one of those "riskier" tangs to mix with other tangs. I intend to do it if I don't find him a new home and the 92 gets set up (in Feb.). I think in the case of a fish like the Sohal, and I'm really just going to guess here as I have no real experience parsay...if you keep it fat and healthy, it will be a little more tolerant than if it's kept on a strict rationed diet in the name of "less waste". Something I learned a long time ago is that the base motivator for fish aggression is typically hunger. In the case of African Cichlids, if they are kept hungry they are much more aggressive than those who are continually sated. Tang aggression is all about maintaining a territory specifically to secure a food source (algae). Bigger the tang, more territory it needs. Hungerier the tang, scarcer the food, more territory it needs. Aggression is a risky behavior for fish...if a tang takes on another tang, it's risking injury itself. To some extent, any tang's aggression level should be "reduceable" by keeping it fat and healthy...there's no need worry so much about "territory" if your dietary needs are already met.

Anyway, that's my hypothetical diatribe on aggression. A big busy tank that's heavily fed should mean few problems with the Sohal. But you should know, Sohals have the wrap of being the type of fish you mix with Clown Triggers, Groupers, Lions etc. Bob Fenner has put together a great synopsis of this tang here - http://www.wetwebmedia.com/Asohal.htm

FWIW,

Matt
mpedersen
mpedersen
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down