Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

if money were no issue....

5 posters

Go down

if money were no issue.... Empty if money were no issue....

Post by blennieluvr Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:22 pm

I think most of us are in the same boat and have limited funds available for our hobby. Just for kicks, what would you guys do if money weren't an issue?

Would you setup a bigger tank?
Keep different critters?
What?
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

if money were no issue.... Empty Re: if money were no issue....

Post by Nannook Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:33 am

I have been toying with the idea of a round tank. If I lived down south, have an out door gazebo with a large tank in it. Lately I have modified my day dream tank to be triangular shaped with a large stack of LR in each corner that would then allow for a "circulation" of the water, switching direction each day like your diverter. Overflow down the middle with the humongous sump under in a basement. I still want to try to have a shallow lagoon with mangroves and brackish water, maybe that could be the top off water an autofill into a brackish lagoon that then met with the display tank.
Nannook
Nannook
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 359

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:02 am

Way to start us off, Nick.

I would build a tank into my wall and go bigger although I can't decide how much bigger. Then again, who cares? It's a fantasy. Ha! I would also like to try a coldwater tank which would require a chiller and probably a generator. I've actually been researching temperate reefs a lot lately and they sound fascinating but expensive. I'm sure I'd get bigger fish prolly for the large in wall tank so I'd have to have another setup for gobies, etc. I love them small fish. I would plan out all three systems to have as little equipment visible as I could and be as easy to maintain as possible. And, I would have to quit my job because money is no issue and then it wouldn't be so hard to find time to maintain the tanks.

Since I'm wealthy enough that money is no issue, I'd like to have a business .... a coffee lounge maybe where people could hang out and talk fish. It would have to have several tanks showing off different types of critters. Maybe there'd be a reef video streaming...we could have speakers come periodically, etc. There could be fish supplies and frags for sale but it would be OK to come with no intentions of buying too. So, I would need enough dough to relocate because we know that's not happening in Bemidji or I Falls. (I bring I Falls up because GoingPostal recently requested that reefers move there). If it made any money at all it could support the club! I know...dream on. But, that's what this thread is all about right? I'll cut costs for the lounge and just do it at my house where we have a sandy beach and cabin to offer as well but that's even more remote then in town so still just a dream.

I would also go to any conference I wanted to starting with MACNA!
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanwillow Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:37 am

I want an L shaped tank, that's made 'steampunk style' for the stand. About 4 feet long each leg of the L. Shallow and wide! Like 2 75 gallons on their sides. I want to have a reading/relaxation area in the middle of the L, but I sorta really like having my desk on one side of the tank.. So may go with that (but need to match my desk to the tank stand)
Swanwillow
Swanwillow
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 845

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:41 am

Nice addition, Swan! Now, if only we'd all win the lottery and could fulfill our fantasies. They'd make some nice build threads! LOL
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by seaponygirl Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:08 am

No Budget eh? I watch those billion dollar home shows, and Tanked. I would love one of those massive tanks, but not the fake corals. I read of one guy who converted his concrete block garage into an aquarium. He replaced the interior wall with glass, and pumped in water directly from the ocean. He was right the shore. So That would be my first choice. Semi realisticly I like the L shape but going around and outside corner, or a large corner tank. I want tanks big enough to keep yellow tangs. Come on lottery!

seaponygirl
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 492

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:36 pm

I'd have a lot more liveaquaria orders shipping in if money was no object! I would really like one of those deep dimension tanks for some larger aggressive fish. Also a really sweet non photo coldwater.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 1479

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:28 pm

I changed my vote. I don't know that I would want a bigger tank necessarily but I think I would want more tanks. I would want several dedicated tanks.

Some critters I thought would be fun:
goby/shrimp pair
nems and clowns - maybe pink skunk clowns
sea grass with an angler
pair of leopard wrasses
nps tank
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down