Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

cycling a new tank

+3
cdness
sainty333
Buff
7 posters

Go down

cycling a  new tank Empty cycling a new tank

Post by Buff Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:03 pm

I have heard that when cycling a new tank that it is a good idea to add one hardy fish to the tank with a bottle of bacteria to get things started. Is that a good idea, and if so what kind of fish should be used?

Buff
Plankton
Plankton

Number of posts : 14

Back to top Go down

cycling a  new tank Empty Re: cycling a new tank

Post by sainty333 Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:47 pm

This is the way I cycled when I started, but its not the best way. Its actually kind of cruel to the fish and you end up with a damsel as your first fish which are aggressive. I have never used bacteria in a bottle, so I can't comment there. What you can do is get things started with a piece of fresh shrimp or fish food. Toss it in, let it decay to build up ammonia and the process begins. Here is a link with some good info..
http://www.saltwateraquarium.com/cycling-a-saltwater-aquarium

sainty333
Snail
Snail

Number of posts : 24

Back to top Go down

Post by cdness Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:48 pm

No...

Do not add a fish. The ammonia and other parameters that occur during a cycle will cause the fish harm in an unsuitable environment. It would be like locking yourself in a portapotty waiting for the smell to go away...lol

Go to the grocery store and get a piece of raw, uncooked table shrimp. Add that to the tank in a cut off leg of a pantihose. The pantihose will keep all the parts of the shrimp from getting into the tank but will allow water to pass through increasing the nutrient level to help start a cycle.

The bacteria in a bottle is a waste of money so don't bother with that stuff. It will start on its own with no assistance.

So do you have live rock or did you start off with dry rock? this will help determine the length of your cycle. If dry, be sure to add a very small piece of live to get the bacteria colonies started. If none is available no big deal, it just may take a little longer for corraline to show up.

Make sure you have a good saltwater test kit to see your cycle go through the steps... API and Salifert are good ones to get. You will need Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite kits for the initial cycle.
cdness
cdness
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 798

Back to top Go down

Post by HSCmember Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:35 pm

Does adding live sand make a difference? Why add live vs dry sand?
HSCmember
HSCmember
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 560

Back to top Go down

Post by icereefer Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:38 pm

HSCmember wrote:Does adding live sand make a difference? Why add live vs dry sand?
For the extra cost of the Bacteria you get with LS,I wouldn't use it, Myself I do what Curtis suggested or just use ammonia.
icereefer
icereefer
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 801

http://redrivervalleyreefers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerman Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:39 am

I love that Curtis I have been in afew bad ones. [/quote] It would be like locking yourself in a portapotty waiting for the smell to go away...lol
[quote] ROFL
I just use raw shrimp, dead rock and add a bag of copapods. I have used a couple bottled bacteria's and don't think they help much.

tinkerman
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 417

Back to top Go down

Post by cdness Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:09 am

Yeah ammonia will work but honestly the cycle will start just as fast with table shrimp. Also you want to start slow so a smaller initial cycle is fine and just start adding fish slowly.
cdness
cdness
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 798

Back to top Go down

Post by icereefer Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:24 pm

cdness wrote:Yeah ammonia will work but honestly the cycle will start just as fast with table shrimp. Also you want to start slow so a smaller initial cycle is fine and just start adding fish slowly.

Honestly... Laughing Table shrimp does work fine but ammonia is ammonia, I have found out with using Meat, meat has to decompose before it produces Ammonia and if you use to much it will take longer for your nitrites to start showing and if you use to little it will cycle to fast and not create enough bacteria and can produce more mini cycles every time you put a load on it, using Ammonia for one most homes have it and 2 you can control how much is going into your water column.
I've even read some that got there cycle going Peeing in there tank, I wouldn't try that but it's been done.
icereefer
icereefer
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 801

http://redrivervalleyreefers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by orange bam bams Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:14 pm

cdness wrote:Yeah ammonia will work but honestly the cycle will start just as fast with table shrimp. Also you want to start slow so a smaller initial cycle is fine and just start adding fish slowly.

Have u tested this ? I would think ammonia would be direct and to the point no decay time just a guess or thought though as I Havnt tried either way personally
orange bam bams
orange bam bams
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 537

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down