Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Identification needed.

3 posters

Go down

Identification needed. Empty Identification needed.

Post by seaponygirl Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:17 am

Sorry I can't post pictures, but what's growing in my tank is pretty easy to describe. On one of my live rocks a have multiple little growths popping out. The look like translucent white hot dogs. They are about 1/8 to 1/4 inch long and have stubbly white "hairs" all around. They are only growing on one rock and are sprouting out in different directions and different light levels. They are under the direct flow of the filter. Any clues? Are they immature evil things, or maybe cool stuff. I tried one picture with my camera but you can't make them out. Just envision tiny white hot dogs with a day's beard growth.

seaponygirl
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 492

Back to top Go down

Identification needed. Empty Re: Identification needed.

Post by GoingPostal Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:03 pm

seaponygirl wrote: Just envision tiny white hot dogs with a day's beard growth.

Interesting description lol! Maybe sponges? Come in a variety of shapes and sizes, most harmless, most likely not evil.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 1479

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerman Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:25 pm

I know what your talking about it is some kind of macro algea. Travis had some, I have seen them in my tank when i have lr. Not sure if its the start of fern calurpa or what.

tinkerman
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 417

Back to top Go down

Post by seaponygirl Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:41 am

I looked up sponges and found some pics of gratia sponge. They look just like what I have. No evil warnings on them, unless they spread too much. It's odd to me that they sprouted 4 months after I set up the tank and are only on the one rock. Cool though. For now.... (I watch way too much
Sci-fi)

seaponygirl
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 492

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down