Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

55 gallon reef wall

5 posters

:: Reef Discussion :: DIY

Go down

55 gallon reef wall Empty 55 gallon reef wall

Post by honeybm23 Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:19 am

55 gallon reef wall 740522 I'm hoping this works if not I will try but this is a pic of my foam/rock wall on my 55. I'm not done just yet I'm waiting on frag putty to come in so I can close up the gaps. But you get the idea. and yes I know my picture taking skills are not great. Honostly it's way brighter in person.

55 gallon reef wall Colora10

honeybm23
Snail
Snail

Number of posts : 21

Back to top Go down

55 gallon reef wall Empty Re: 55 gallon reef wall

Post by cdness Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:59 pm

looks good!

did you let it cure before putting it in the tank with the fish?
cdness
cdness
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 798

Back to top Go down

Post by honeybm23 Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:15 pm

Yes had everything in garbage pails and 5 gallon buckets with lights and filters it was a huge mess, for 15 days then everything and everyone got back to normal as normal as can be anyways. hubby thought I was nuts but kids think it's great. I can't wait till I get a bigger tank hope someone will trade or buy from me when the time comes. ( I have so many Ideas that it's crazy!!) Wink

honeybm23
Snail
Snail

Number of posts : 21

Back to top Go down

Post by Nannook Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:54 am

Disregard previous post and thank you for the picture. VERY cool. I too have loads of ideas. One of the things that fascinate me about this hobby.
Nannook
Nannook
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 359

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanwillow Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:08 pm

how is the detrius buildup behind the wall?

What did you use as the base, to let it go up the back like that?
Swanwillow
Swanwillow
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 845

Back to top Go down

55 gallon reef wall Empty Foam?

Post by seaponygirl Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:00 pm

Hi,
I just joined and so am catching up posts, forums, etc. How did you create your foam wall? I make foam rocks and Islands for my outside koi pond, but was disappointed with the results as the foam broke down where it was exposed to sunlight. I have umpteen 55 gallon tanks with cracked sides. Could you butt up the two put a pane of glass between the two and connect them that way. Here's the kicker. What if you had a good sized hole cut in that glass so know the two tanks are actually connected. Then foam in rocks around the hole and short sides, so it would look like a cave or tunnel? Then the water would flow between the two, fish could pass through and you could vary the lights from one side to the other?
So the long and the short is How did you make the foam panels? and how do you cure them? Could they be cured in fresh water first, then used?
thanks, I am very intrigued!

Seaponygirl

seaponygirl
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 492

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanwillow Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:18 pm

There's a lot of articles on making foam walls. But the breakdown is really to spray egg-crate with foam, add some rocks and carve caves with it. (You need heavy rocks to make sure it doesn't float away) Then when all THAT is done, cover it with a black silicone or epoxy (its been a few years, so my memory is fuzzy on which) and while THAT is still wet, you dump sand ontop.

Here's a link to someone who did one out of pure foam. Although I am reading they still break down. Good luck

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f267/my-foam-rock-wall-build-122412.html
Swanwillow
Swanwillow
Great White
Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by cdness Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:31 pm

The black pond foam doesn't break down as fast as the window sealant foam. Also the epoxy is supposed to hold it together better as well as prevent the breakdown or at least slow it down...

Connected tanks seems like a cool idea. You won't be able to just butt them up and put some glass in between though to make an 8 ft tank. The glass is too thin to support the length. The tube could work though. If you need a 3" hole saw I have one.
cdness
cdness
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 798

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanwillow Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:34 pm

I wonder if a system of bulkheads with a tube between the two would work for what you want?
Swanwillow
Swanwillow
Great White
Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by Nannook Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:47 am

Ah Seapony a kindred spirit. I love aquascaping and trying new ideas, different ideas. I find myself looking at rock walls to get ideas. The porosity is very important. We had a rock build a couple years ago in Duluth it turned out really nicely and even when some pieces flopped they are still useful. I mix lots of rubble and shape to my wishes, then drill and put rods through to support caves arches etc. My avatar gives an idea but does not show detail. I have many ideas people have said could not be done, but they work fine with care. i.e. a concrete block base rock is a super cave, build around and on top. Holds everything securely, I hate rock slides.
Nannook
Nannook
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 359

Back to top Go down

Post by seaponygirl Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:47 pm

I have made several concrete structures in my two tanks. In the 20 I mixed black sand, coral bits and cement. I soaked them in my koi pond for 3 months and have not had any trouble with them. When I used the black foam for my 45, it looked great then slagged to the bottom. I wish I had laid the tank on it's side first.

seaponygirl
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 492

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down