Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRS reacter mod

:: Reef Discussion :: DIY

Go down

BRS reacter mod Empty BRS reacter mod

Post by tinkerman Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:54 pm

Figure I'd post this hear too. I made a mod to my brs reacter for gfo, figure some may be interested.
Material list
1/2" threaded x slip pvc fitting
1/2" pvc pipe 8" long
1/4" acrylic 4" square

The hole saw is 3 1/2". I cut a 3 1/2" hole in scrape wood and clamped it onto the acrylic to be drilled. I cut a scrap wood peice with 3" hole saw 3/4" stock for forming acrylic.
BRS reacter mod Th_DSCF2313
I turned oven on got out old cookie sheet, oven was on for a min or 2 stuck acrylic peice in and set timer for 7 min. Centered The acrylic on scrap wood with 3" hole and took a scrap peice of 1" pvc pipe, pushing on it to form the dish.
BRS reacter mod Th_DSCF2315
This is the acrylic I used I got it from home depot. Not the same stuff I used before but this stuff was much easier to form and didn't deform. The white stuff I used before came from mac's. If the clear is the same as the splash guard I used before I wouldn't used anything thinner that 1/4" as it deforms.
BRS reacter mod Th_DSCF2318

tinkerman
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 417

Back to top Go down

BRS reacter mod Empty Re: BRS reacter mod

Post by tinkerman Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:56 pm

Now the 3 1/2" acrylic won't fit all the way to the bottom of the BRS reacter so it needs to be trimmed. I used my dremel and the larger sanding wheel. My ending measurement was about 2 31/32".
BRS reacter mod Th_DSCF2319
Pic of finished dish.
BRS reacter mod Th_DSCF2320
The tube I wasn't able to take apart as I glued it last time but it is 6 15/16" from fitting to end.
BRS reacter mod Th_DSCF2322

tinkerman
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerman Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:57 pm

The tube is 1/2" pvc pipe and the fitting is threaded x slip. the threads must be sanded out to fit the center peice in the reacter. Here is a pic of the reacter and 1 cup pellet gfo.
BRS reacter mod Th_DSCF2323
When running the top of the media only move up and down about 1/4". I run about a gal of tank water through the gfo when media is first added, to get rid of fines from media. Pic of it running.
BRS reacter mod Th_DSCF2349
Have to say thanks to our 7 yr old for taking the pics.

tinkerman
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerman Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:55 am

If there is any misunderstanding about flow.
BRS reacter mod Th_reacter

tinkerman
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: Reef Discussion :: DIY

Permissions in this forum: