Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone have a few pounds of live rock I could buy/trade?

4 posters

Go down

Anyone have a few pounds of live rock I could buy/trade? Empty Anyone have a few pounds of live rock I could buy/trade?

Post by TMF89 Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:57 am

Hey guys. I'm setting up two saltwater tanks, a 20L FOWLR and a 29g reef. I'm using Ecorox from BRS, but I need a few pounds of LR in each to seed the tank. I was hoping maybe 5lbs in each. Instead of spending $100 at the LFSs in Bemidji, I was really hoping I could find someone in the area who would either sell me some of their LR for cheap(er), or trade for a few pounds of Ecorox. Anyone able to help a SW Newbie out? Thanks guys!

TMF89
Snail
Snail

Number of posts : 27

Back to top Go down

Anyone have a few pounds of live rock I could buy/trade? Empty Re: Anyone have a few pounds of live rock I could buy/trade?

Post by Home_Depot Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:55 am

I had a bunch when I tore my tank down but that was a month ago and the few rocks I did keep have been out of water and in my shed for a month. sorry

If you cant find any maybe the science center would be willing to trade you. I know they have some in the sump there. Just an idea.
Home_Depot
Home_Depot
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1946

http://www.frozenocean.org

Back to top Go down

Anyone have a few pounds of live rock I could buy/trade? Empty Re: Anyone have a few pounds of live rock I could buy/trade?

Post by TMF89 Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:16 pm

Thanks for the tip, I've never checked out the Science Center, so I'll check it out.

TMF89
Snail
Snail

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:26 pm

I could pull that amount easily, either rubble rock or larger chunks. I'd have to get it to Bemidji unless you are able to come to my place, I'm supposed to be hosting the next meeting but haven't set a date yet. I'm sure someone from Bemidji or thereabouts will be making the trip though.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 1479

Back to top Go down

Post by TMF89 Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:02 pm

Postal, unless you happen to be in Bemidji either Friday afternoon/evening, or Sunday night, don't worry about it. I'm from the cities and was able to get a few pounds down here, and I'm going up there for a fishing trip as well, so I'll only be in town Friday and Sunday. Thanks for the offer though!

TMF89
Snail
Snail

Back to top Go down

Post by TMF89 Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:28 pm

Also, two other questions. I have the chance to get a Remora Nano for cheap, I know they're only rated for up to 25 gallons, but I've heard a lot of smaller tanks not even using skimmers? Also, could someone explain exactly what chateo is and what it does? I know its some form of plant, and a lot of people use it for filtration. I have some misc. powerfilter that's rated for up to 40 gallons, I was thinking I could just turn it into a HOB refugium and stuff some chateo in there?

TMF89
Snail
Snail

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:51 pm

Cheato is an macro algea, kind of looks like green brillo sponge or spaghetti I guess. Most people use in their fuge, basically plants suck up on nitrates and phosphates to live, both are bad for your tank so it acts as a filter of it's own, I know a lot of people run tiny fuges in powerfilters but I don't really know how effective they are, I tried one for a while and can't seem to grow cheato to save my life so gave it up. And no you don't really need a skimmer on a small tank unless you are going to add a ton of fish or want a sps dominated tank. I don't run a skimmer on my 24 gallon personally but it may be worth picking that remora up for cheap just in case, if you are having nitrate or algea issues you can put it on the tank. I will say my regular remora was kind of annoying to listen to hissing all the time though. For me it's just easier to do a water change and not deal with a bunch of equipment.
GoingPostal
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 1479

Back to top Go down

Post by Nannook Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:43 am

I have a 29 gal biocube. I have had some hair algae problems, and after trying many unsuccessful techniques to control (small skimmer, algae turf scrubber, etc) [water changes seem to be the most helpful]. I have a 90 gal reef tank with a 20 gal refugium. I have lush chaeto and caulerpa growing in my refugium to control my nutrients. There are several different types of caulerpa, some are very attractive. I got some long fronded (6 inch) and I am planting it in my 29. I used plants in my freshwater for years and enjoyed them. I also put a small cheato ball IN the back corner of the 29 near the overflow. It does require good lighting to grow, and prefers a good water flow, but it seems to be working. It is growing and the hair algae is gradually dieing off. Chaeto is not un-attractive, certainly prettier than the hair algae.
Nannook
Nannook
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 359

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down