Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NP Bio-Pellets

+2
danreefs
Joyce
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

NP Bio-Pellets - Page 2 Empty Re: NP Bio-Pellets

Post by tinkerman Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:30 pm

Captain Greg you said the hiatt was cheaper, I started punching numbers and am seeing that it is more exspensive. I will use my 125 for an example here. So for Hiatt I would need 21 lbs so I would need 2 10 lb bags and 1 lb bag for a total of $112.20+ bacteria, a pump that will do 1250 gph and reactor. Now the np bio pellets are 0.5-1 liter pellets per 500 liters, 125 gal is 472.5 liters so at most I would need 1 liter of pellets for $99.95 and a reactor to run them. The hiatt system says you should pre filter your water before the carbon so your going to also end up changing a pre filter every couple days. I am not running either system but have been giving them thought. I would like to know how big a reactor you need for the np bio pellets for 1 liter of them. How big of a reactor for the Hiatt for 21 lbs of carbon? Any other pro's or con's of bio pellets of the Hiatt systems. I am using a cup of gfo every 2 weeks which would be cheaper to run one of these systems. I would also like to say that my return pump doesn't even turn my tank over 10x a hr which is a rio 3100+ I think. Here is a thought on dosing vodka is there a reason you couldn't just use a dosing pump to dose it for you, ruin the dosing pump. Dosing pumps you can pick up for $100 and vodka is less than $10 for a good sized bottle.

tinkerman
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 417

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Greg Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:29 am

For my 125 gal... My reactor is big it hold 15 pound cost me 45 dollars to make with PVC. My pump take about 250W... I change water 35 gal every 2.5 or three months. Prefilter does not need to be replace.. I take it out and spray it down with my tap water hose and put it back. If you got a sump and most people use the sponge for pre filter is ok. Every 12 months I take the stuff out and rinse it with a garden hose and put it back with maybe 1 or half a pound of carbon and bacteria cost around $12... The carbon last bout 5 years...The result are amazing....
I personally would not put 21 lbs of carbon and bacteria for a 125 gal for a reef and fish system. I worry it get too clean for the coral. I started a new post on the Hiatt system.. I am planning to setup the 75 gal system with mix reef and fish... No sump and maybe no skimmer... which kind of crazy... I will be testing their claim 24 hour cycle also.

So far this system works great form me...

I do want to find out more about NP...

So, I don't want to take over this post... I want NP Bio-Pellets people report back their finding on this post. Please check out the other post about Hiatt I started.

When we get more infomation from NP, I would like to start the discussion on which has better result and which is more cost effective.
Captain Greg
Captain Greg
Clownfish
Clownfish

Number of posts : 94

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerman Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:28 pm

If anyone interested in more info on the np biopellets and haven't found this thread on RC. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1694529

tinkerman
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 417

Back to top Go down

Post by danreefs Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:42 pm

I think its time i try them look at this tank. And uses the NP reducing BioPellets

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/65-tank-of-the-month
danreefs
danreefs
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 1516

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2