Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to get rid of green alge

3 posters

Go down

How to get rid of  green alge Empty How to get rid of green alge

Post by chefb_5 Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:18 pm

i was just woundering how and if any one has this problem even u bigger reefrs!! do u all get this alge stuff all over ur glass?? how common is that? and how can i get rid of it because the magnet doesnt work and i dont whan't to always use my stick scraper???
chefb_5
chefb_5
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 295

http://chefb_5@yahoo.com

Back to top Go down

How to get rid of  green alge Empty Re: How to get rid of green alge

Post by plnelson Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:17 am

You need to make sure that your nitrates and phosphates are in check. After that, make sure that you have a large enough clean up crew. Also, make sure that your bulbs aren't to old, after a time they no longer produce the spectrum of light that they did when they were new, and can cause extra algae growth. After that, a lot of scraping.
plnelson
plnelson
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 610

Back to top Go down

Post by chefb_5 Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:29 am

ok thank u very much, i know that the lights have to be changed ever 6 months and nitrate and all that is fine! so what els could it be?
chefb_5
chefb_5
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by plnelson Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:22 am

Every one get algae on their glass. It's just part of having a healthy system. This isn't like a freshwater aquarium that you can just add a chemical to solve a problem for you. There is a very real amount of regular maintenance that goes into keeping saltwater.
plnelson
plnelson
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 610

Back to top Go down

Post by Nannook Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:53 am

Matt made a great suggestion to try to stagger the light bulb change. That way you always maintain optimal output. (I have read about PAR in different publications, and Matt explained it to me. It is a difficult concept to grasp. You need a picture and then without the light meter you still won't know where you are on any given Sunday) But if one of your bulbs is changed every 4 months you will always have fresh bright bulbs and some that are aging and their output is waning. (Date your bulbs and write in your log book)

If your tank is fairly new, you will go through several phases of Algae growth. A green phase where it will grow within hours and you are scrubbing and blading (razor blade) be careful not to scratch your glass. Then after a week or so you will get a rust red phase, that will last for a week or more and things will look dreadful. You may go through a red bubble phase and green bubble algae phase that will last for a month. Then you might get a slimy brown stringy all over, that will last for a few weeks.

Hang in there. This is all a part of a maturing of your tank. I purchased a used tank that had been set up for 6 months. I save most of the water, used seasoned Live Rock and yet still I had to go through these phases and stages of algae. And this is not directly related to "cycling" that everyone referred to but I did not understand for months.

Anyway Phil is absolutely correct, everyone struggles with this to one degree or another. If everything is correct it will pass from a horrific embarrassment to a routine maintenance. A good "clean up crew" will help you. I built an Algae Turf Scrubber, it is a devise that helps algae to grow in an optimal part of your system, (refugium) or a cheeto ball. There are many methods for algae control. None are absolutely perfect. I use "Algae-Fix" for a while and it does help. But when I realized this was a phase, I just dealt with it till it passed.

Angel hair is the worst. i have a few tough tufts, that I just pull out, or smother with a piece of rubble, or remove and scrub with a wire brush. You can boil that piece of rock that seems to be especially chronic with growth. But after 3 months and my Turf Scrubber even it is starting to look in poor health in my display tank.
Nannook
Nannook
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 359

Back to top Go down

Post by chefb_5 Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:14 pm

WOW thanks nanook!!! u helped alot! How to get rid of  green alge Icon_smile i have astro snails and some hermit crabs, but i only have a few of both so i need like probably 20 of each it is just the whole money factor jobs around were i live are so hard to get these days! thats y if u see me asking for trade for coral or i can give some rock or if i could just get some free frags thats y!
chefb_5
chefb_5
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down