Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

orchid care questions

3 posters

Go down

orchid care questions Empty orchid care questions

Post by blennieluvr Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:10 am

My son bought me an orchid for my birthday and I know nothing about them. I did watch a couple of youtube vids about how to keep them happy and healthy but wanted tips from you orchid folks out cuz I know there are a few of you in our reefer family. How long do they last with good care? And, please share any care tips you have!
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

orchid care questions Empty Re: orchid care questions

Post by seaponygirl Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:05 am

Care depends on what kind of orchid it is. Most of the ones here in town are called Phalenopsis. They have large strappy leaves and send up one to two long stems. The flowers have a pansy faced look. The best way to water them is put 3 ice cubes on top of the barky soil, every week. It seems to be the right amount of water and doesn't drown them. When they are finished bloomin, usually several months later, but the stem back to the second little leafy node, bump, keep watering and it will rebloom in a couple of months. Bright light but not sunlight. I have a bunch of them.

seaponygirl
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 492

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:25 pm

Yes. That's exactly what type mine is. Thanks for the tips. It doesn't sound too hard. Yay! It's quite pretty so I'll be glad to keep around as long as I can.
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanwillow Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:49 pm

And humidity! They love humidity
Swanwillow
Swanwillow
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 845

Back to top Go down

Post by seaponygirl Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:53 am

And they don't like horses eating them, or pigs either. They are darn tough otherwise. Walmart had some Gorgeous ones this week and they were only $10. I bought three for my "art" show in Duluth last weekend. I used that small "s" hook chain to chain them to the tree and they looked awesome, like they were growing there. A good attention getter. I may have to buy some more....aww don't you feel sorry for me....

seaponygirl
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 492

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:39 pm

I've been eyeing up those ones at walmart too but I don't trust myself yet. I have to see how it goes with the one I have first.

I feel really sorry for you just like I do all of us when we "need" to buy another coral or fish. Smile
blennieluvr
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down